White background

Ministry of Social Development here to help on housing needs

01 October 2018.

With the launch of the new Ministry of Housing and Urban Development today, the Ministry of Social Development retains its core role of helping those in need of accommodation or housing, says chief executive Brendan Boyle.

"For anyone who is in need, the Ministry of Social Development is still the place to come if you are homeless, or need access to public housing," says Mr Boyle.

"You can get in touch with us on 0800 559 009, or call into your nearest MSD Service Centre.

"We can help if you urgently need somewhere to stay.

"We also assess people for long-term public housing to make sure the people who are in most need can get public housing for as long as they need it.

"At the Ministry of Social Development we will still provide services such as covering emergency housing costs, providing access to transitional housing, and offering financial assistance such as the accommodation supplement.

"Last year we provided approximately $900 million in rental subsidies for those in need.

"Some of our functions, namely policy and public housing supply, have gone into the new Ministry of Housing and Urban Development, which is the Government’s lead advisor on housing and urban development.

"We will be working closely with the new Ministry to support those in housing need," says Mr Boyle.

For more information contact:

Public Affairs | Communications and Engagement

04 916 3496 | media@msd.govt.nz

White background
Print this page.